Wednesday, February 6, 2008

DO NOT ENTER (photo project)

As usual- I am no stranger to the Dan Witz fan club. NYC native, 80s punk-art kid, and a current brooklynite-I have been following Dan's work since the early 90's (although he's been on the scene as early as '79)- once when asked about being accepted Dan stated:

"I never really wanted to be at the party. I don't like that a lot of art you see is devoted to not connecting with people. I came up as sort of punk rock. I was anti-elitist and anti-intellectual and anti-academic. I err the other way and make things a little too easy and accessible. I started out like that and I haven't been able to make my work more "art smart." Now, people like work that's not art smart because it's a reaction against all the dense and politically sensitive work of the '80s and '90s. People are interested in what I'm doing, but for years [the attitude was], "I get it, I don't like it."

Fast forward to 2007-Abroad or in the tri-state- you may have peeped some of these genius "Do Not Enter" signs in Copenhagen, Brooklyn, or NYC. Brought to you via my computer & the mind of Dan Witz- I present the "DO NOT ENTER" photo project:




























No comments: